Job Title: Part-Time Evening/Weekend Library Assistant (Civil Service Library Assistant )
Summary: The Pennsauken Free Public Library is seeking two dedicated, friendly, enthusiastic, energetic, and service-oriented individuals to join our Library as Library Assistants. The Library Assistant provides direct patron assistance and performs circulation duties as well as collection maintenance, placement of reserves, and technical service support. The ideal candidates must be computer literate, enjoy working with the public, and possess excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
Responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
- Charging, renewing, and discharging library materials in the library’s automated system.
- Registering new patrons and renewing library cards.
- Answering questions on library materials, rules, policies, and procedures.
- Reserving library materials, pulling holds, handling interlibrary loan requests, and notifying patrons when items are available.
- Preparing books and other library materials for circulation.
- Collecting data for statistical reports.
- Checking shelves for lost materials.
- Emptying internal and external book drops.
- Shelving, shelf-reading, and maintaining general orderliness of shelves and public areas.
- Handling money through accepting fines and fees.
- Handling issues with overdue notices and other account information in accordance with library policy.
- Understanding, following, and promoting established library policy and procedures.
- Following opening and closing procedures for the library building.
- Assisting the public in the use of library resources and equipment.
- Assisting with displays and other library promotional and informational materials.
- Assisting with maintaining a clean, welcoming, and safe library environment.
- Performing other duties as assigned by the Supervisor or Director.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Ability to lift, transport, and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Anything greater will require a two-person assist.
- Must be able to reach or bend to retrieve materials on low or high shelves.
- Must be proficient in the use of the computer keyboard.
- Specific vision abilities required by this job are close vision and the ability to adjust focus.
- Ability to stand and move around for two or more hours at a time.
High school diploma or GED
Strong customer service & interpersonal skills
Good communication & organizational skills
Ability to work independently & in a team
Strong commitment to public service and the ability to work well with diverse patronage.
Ability to be tactful and courteous with the general public, in person, and on the phone, and to maintain professional and effective working relationships with other library staff.
Must be a Pennsauken Township resident or become resident of Pennsauken within nine (9) months of hire.
Appointees will be required to possess a driver’s license valid in New Jersey only if the operation of a vehicle, rather than employee mobility, is necessary to perform the essential duties of the position.
A background working in libraries or knowledge of literature and library collections.
Proficiency in a second language.
Knowledge of common computer software such as Microsoft Office and Google Drive.
Hourly Range: $12 -$13
This is a Civil Service non-competitive position. The full job description can be found on the State of NJ Civil Service Commission website.
20-30 hours per week: including afternoon, evening, and weekend hours.
Please email your resume and letter of interest in PDF format to Martha Vega at email@example.com
Please add “Library Assistant” to the subject line.
You may also submit your resume and letter of interest at the library’s front desk.
Review of applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled.
For more information, call (856) 665-5959 ext. 117 or visit pennsaukenlibrary.org.
If you are interested in internship opportunities at the library, please fill in this form and email the application to firstname.lastname@example.org.